Staying up-to-date and constantly learning is vital in marketing, particularly since so many of the digital marketing platforms like Facebook, Google and LinkedIn are moving targets, with updates every week it seems.
There is always a new update, a new tool to use or a new way of innovating your marketing practices. It begs the question of where is the best place to stay up-to-date, where do you find out about the latest changes to social media platforms or Google algorithms.
At the same time, we need to review new communications strategies, for example, those made possible by inbound and content marketing, marketing automation and artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Regular readers of Smart Insights will know that we look to alert readers to the biggest changes which could benefit your marketing. But we’re certainly not the only site that updates their content regularly, covering new and exciting updates. Here we’ve picked 10 sites we think are really useful for keeping marketers up-to-date with both platform trends and strategic innovations, but we would like to know which sites you think are most useful too.
Please choose all sites you use regularly to keep up-to-date.
Please submit your answers here, if you can’t see the poll – it’s a glitch we’re working on!
If we’ve missed your favourite, or most helpful, site off our list we’d be interested to share and check it out. Let us know by filling in the ‘other’ section or tweet us @SmartInsights to let us know your thoughts.
Using the sites we monitor, a reminder to members that we update our Digital Media Cheatsheet monthly.In this download we cover the latest changes in Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Youtube, SnapChat, Google+, Pinterest, PPC changes, SEO (organic search) and Google Analytics.
We also have a member’s Facebook group – for all members – please visit or join to share the sites you find most useful in keeping you up-to-date.
Here are our top recommended sites for marketers and why to use them:
- The Drum – focus on agency and brand developments in the UK
- Econsultancy – Coverage of best practices in different Ecommerce sectors
- Forrester – Insight about consumer adoption from their research and analyst analysis
- Gartner – their marketing blog features management advice for CMOs
- Harvard Business Review – For new business models and communications strategies
- TechCrunch – comprehensive coverage of the marketing platform updates
- Marketing Land – advice on marketing, marketing technology, search and platform updates
- McKinsey Quarterly – Covering new business models and communications strategies
- Smart Insights – a blend of best practice advice, benchmarking stats and platform alerts
- Social Media Today – practical advice on using social media
Plus, as a bonus, here’s a great new option for keeping up-to-date: Zest – an aggregator of digital marketing news and advice where you use tags to manage your updates. It’s the most popular tool across the Smart Insights team.